Our Running Chat

Group Speed workouts

So @JaimeP mentioned group speed workouts over in the Virgil Crest thread.
Anyone who knows me knows I’m a sucker for group accountability.
Given that we are most likely in different parts of the city and all that, maybe we could just start with some good ol’ group encouragement and accountability. And then those that can meet up and sweat together may find times to do that.

I am thinking Wednesday mornings are going to work best for me.
My initial plan is going to be to ride my bike to and from the Roberts Wesleyan track on Weds mornings. This way I get a warm up and cool down (and get some miles on the bike)

What do you think?

1 Like

What time in the AM? Gia has next Wednesday off from school but after that I will be free around 8am.

Would you want to do it together? Would you come out to Roberts track?
I was figuring we wouldn’t be able to line up schedules so quickly and that maybe we just had to do honor system runs and just know we were both ‘doing them together’

I like that idea! Would you be comfortable creating a weekly workout we could do on our own? I look at a track and it’s a total blank slate. I should probably learn how to program workouts into this fancy watch of mine

I can definitely help with the programming of workouts into the fancy watch! You have a 935?

As for creating the weekly workouts… hmm… I’ve never quite nailed down the planning of those, but if I were to start, I think I’d pull something from like a Pfitzinger training plan for increasing VO2Max.

1 Like

Yes I have a 935. Help would be much appreciated! :slight_smile:
No worries on not creating them yourself, I just need some sort of structure or plan to follow.
Also any advice on what day of the week to do speed work if you’re doing a hill workout too? I usually do hills on Thursdays, so would Tues be good for speed?

That was my setup when I was training for reals… Monday was recovery from the big weekend work, Tuesday Speed, Thursday was either hills or threshold stuff.

Here is the big trick for the 935… or at least the way I know to do it… It has to be started on the website. And once you’re there, I made this here diagram for ya… (of course, ya gotta build the workout in between steps 2 and 3)

Ooof, not sure if I would be able to get to Roberts. Anything more in the middle? Or maybe another day/time? Wednesday nights?

I could do Wednesday nights… I work til about 5 most days. I could also meet somewhere else, but everything besides Roberts is a drive for me. Where are you thinking? I did used to like doing my speed workouts up at the reservoir on Cobbs Hill.

1 Like

Great tutorial for adding workouts from Garmin. Also nice once you sync your workouts to your watch they’re always there too! You can do on the fly workouts via the 935 too - but only your standard repeats (e.g. 5x 1 mile repeats with 0.25 mile recovery each). Basically how many, distance v time for speed and distance v time for recovery. No cool pyramids!

I can be in for cobbs

The fancy pyramid workout is below. “Fast” being a threshold pace. Or even what you can do for a fast mile. The fastest you can, but sustain it for the whole time.
I obviously didn’t start by going all the way up to 6… I think my first version of this was 12321, but…

The fancy pyramid workout is:

• 2 mile warmup
  • 1 minute fast
  • 1 minute recover
  • 2 minute fast
  • 1 minute recover
  • 3 minute fast
  • 1 minute recover
  • 4 minute fast
  • 1 minute recover
  • 5 minute fast
  • 1 minute recover
  • 6 minute fast
  • 1 minute recover
  • 5 minute fast
  • 1 minute recover
  • 4 minute fast
  • 1 minute recover
  • 3 minute fast
  • 1 minute recover
  • 2 minute fast
  • 1 minute recover
  • 1 minute fast
  • 2 mile cool down
2 Likes

I’m not improving lately (feel like I’m just grinding down). Maybe time to duel around with something like this again

Anyone want to do a speed/ hill day at cobbs Wednesday? We can play with the pyramid plan @ChrisO posted

What time on Wednesday?

What time works for you? I can be flexible on Wednesday’s

I’d love to say, “early, before work” … that’s always the goal. it often becomes “hopefully after work”
But if we made a date, I would definitely make it

I wish it could be before work but I don’t get gia on the bus until 7:40am

@ChrisO and I are going to hit up Cobbs tomorrow at 5pm to do some speed work. Anyone else want to join us?

2 Likes